22 August 2009

Say die

It got very quiet on the couch last night. 10-and-a-half-year old cricket fan is not only at a sensitive age, but is still getting used to this "failure" part of the game. Ouchy. It seemed important to see it through, so see it through I did, and it did feel a bit like a long lesson in pain and all its varieties and stages.

Mostly it felt like homesickness. There came a point where I had to abandon the radio commentary - there were just too many English voices humming with satisfaction (entirely understandably) and Phil Tufnell's bedtime stories were no longer soothing but lonely-making. I badly wanted the company of "my" team: where's Kerry? Where's Flemo and Roey and Henry? I want my mum! Mike Holding was a blessed focal point of deadpan rectitude, he wasn't having a bar of anything and this was a great source of comfort.

When we took to the field again I pulled back and only half watched for a while because I couldn't bear being party to any hustle-bustle "positive" body language. Not just because of emotional weariness, but... well actually yes, emotional weariness, but of a more general kind, from the cumulative effect of too many "just gotta back ourselves"/"never say die" lines trotted out in the last 12 months. In my mind's eye it is Clarke who says this and to his credit Ponting has seemed to be evolving past it.

A few years ago New Zealand had a really good tour here and I thought they made great use of the freedom and invulnerability that comes from accepting the possibility - likelihood even - of loss. It's a virtue born of necessity of course, but Australia has suffered, and lost, from the lack of it, and I think the best Australia can do here is to make that peace and psyche out the English with their zen calm. That was and is the course I took/am taking in any case.

And bless Katich. By the end of the day/night I was chuckling out loud at his "fast bowler" face and tongue-poking stuck on top of his left-arm Chinamen.

7 comments:

  1. Australia is still trying to occupy the mental space created by Steve Waugh and kept alive by McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist. It's what led to the embarrassing press-conference argie-bargie over whether Australia still has an "aura" and, if so, where is it and does it still glow in the dark, etc...

    Mediocre teams don't have auras and cannot hurt opponents with their mere taunting presence. You're right, Batsy, Australia needs to pull back and go minimalist.

    (And Justin Langer should keep his dossier in his briefcase.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They way things are going for Freddie Flintoff, what with Stuart Broad stealing his thunder, I feel that he is going to see out his final Test Match with a fizzle, instead of a bang. I pray that he genuinely finds a satisfying life outside of cricket, post-retirement. He could start by joining a support group for ex-hero sportsmen. I just wonder how he is going to cope without the adoring adulation of his countrymen? Or is the pressure of being England's cricketing Messiah too much in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Victor - or do you prefer "Mr Trumper"? I agree it is the Steve Waugh mental space, and while part of that is just bog-standard sports psychology, part of it is inability to adapt to new conditions within and without and plain old lack of imagination. I do think though that Ricky has improved vastly since last Ashes and it is in some ways everyone else having trouble moving out of that space...

    Anon: it's funny how Messiahs are often fragile old things, presumably because as you suggest they only really exist as a function of mass adulation. If Freddie does a starfish in the forest, and no one sees it, did it really happen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't want to think about Freddie's starfish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I hadn't thought of that.

    But this is great, now every time you see that pose you have the satisfaction of knowing that it is Freddie saying "Look at me be an arsehole!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad Australia's cricketing messiah couldn't save the Ashes from the commentary box. Do you think Freddie the Musical will make a debut at London's West End next year? I'll give one thing for Mr Flintoff - unlike a good many of his countrymen, he is a real good SPORT, and gave everything he could to 'serve his country', which has come at a personal cost to him, I bet. When it all ended in victory for England, did you see him estactically jumping up and down with his teamates?

    Warney retired age 36, Fred Flintstone is only 31. Both men bravely represented their country in the battle that is the Ashes (she writes with a note of irony). But only one of them is still passionate about the CRICKET.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do mean Warney, don't you? I've never heard of anyone questioning Warney's passion.

    As for ecstatic jumping up and down, I kinda dig it, especially since it's a rich source of Cricket Love. But if you have a dodgy knee...

    ReplyDelete