13 September 2011

Happy Birthday, Sister Sledge.

It’s Shane Warne’s birthday, which seems a good time to make a comeback and usher in the new cricket season. If you will look at “This Day in Shane Warne” below, you can see that Shane shares a birthday with Nana Mouskouri (1934), Jacqueline Bisset (1944) and the lead singer of Sister Sledge, Joni (1956). That’s not a bad haul. And I don’t know why I haven’t been calling Warnie “Sister Sledge” for the couple of years since I isolated that factoid.


This photo was taken on this day 6 years ago. It was a sort of office picnic at Sydney Uni. It’s a bit gloomy, and maybe that’s because we had just lost the 2005 Ashes. But we (my old flatmate and I, I am not being royal) tried to make up for it with baked goods, unwittingly setting a precedent for Ashes to come.


I don’t know if I should buckle and get cable or if that will be the end of me. I’ve been dipping into the internet and feeling a bit enthusiastic when we’ve doing well, but I couldn’t tell you much about what’s actually happened, I haven’t even caught the new spinner on Youtube. I’ve been putting in a last-ditch effort at hibernation these last couple of weeks, watching entire TV series on the laptop in bed. It gets very mise en abyme taking The Complete Works of Liz Lemon to the video store counter on a Saturday night, I can tell you, but no more looking into a glass darkly! Unless it’s the cricket. On with the show!

4 comments:

  1. That wedding makeup artist is bang on the money. Batsy, you have been missed. Welcome back! Foxtel does significantly increase your chances of an evening in the company of Brendon Julian. I don't know if that is a lure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt, thanks for the thumbs up. And thanks wedding makeup artists sydney, good luck with that.
    BJ's a bit of a private school boy, isn't he? That was what I always thought. I can't remember what he did besides run around in the outfield. Does he talk the talk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent to have you back, Batsy. You might have to be quick if you want to catch our new spinner; surely it's just a matter of time before he joins Kreija and O'Keefe and Hauritz and Beer and all the others in sad obscurity.

    Two questions:
    1. Is it true that Mise en Abyme once opened the batting for Pakistan in an ODI?
    2. What do you make of the new Shane look, unkindly called 'Scrawnie' by the tabloids?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Anonymous. I got my eyebrows shaped this morning, and thence to the subject of New Warnie, see new post.

    ReplyDelete