28 March 2015

El Caballo Blanco

Here comes New Zealand, riding white horses across the Tasman Sea, bats held aloft and hair gently ruffled by the breeze. I used to cast New Zealand cricketers as characters in a Jane Austen novel (including Chris Cairns as Darcy, which... hmmm, but then every Austen novel has its Wickham), but perhaps Knights of the Round Table is the better model.

I thought the undefeated New Zealand and the undefeated India might be destined to meet in a finals joust, but we put an end to that. It was pointed out to me that although India had won every one of their last 10 (or something) games, they’d lost all of their last 10 (or something) games against Australia. We are their Kryptonite. Or their banana skin (as our colour suggests).

I was at that game:


This was taken a moment before the shot I posted on Twitter, and I post the vision again because it is pretty but also because I can’t work out who the Australian cricketer is on the big screen. I would have said Bailey at a glance, but he’s not in the side. I can’t work it out, suggestions welcome (click on pic for hi-res view).
 
I was very excited to go to the game, it all happened at the last minute when Mr Batsy’s sister had a spare. It was a mixed and generally jovial crowd, lots of “Shucks, we CAN all just get along” and “Awww, we so multicultural” moments. My favourite was the group of men all in India shirts and the small boy sitting in the middle of them in all his Australia gear. When Kohli got out, the India supporters went quiet, when Dhoni got out, they left – immediately. The sea of blue shirts became a sea of blue seats. They are a tough love crowd.

Indian fans might have a reputation for being noisy, but there is nothing like a certain type of Australian fan for being vocal. We sat in front of a row of blokes I will call the “Slips Cordon” who conducted a loud running commentary of the game, cracked funnies and sledged all and sundry. They had some good ones - suggesting Watson was playing for a draw, for example - some bad ones - a conversation about delivering a lady of their acquaintance “balls from both ends” - and they were basically fun, but it is a sort of figurative version of spreading your legs across a bus seat, casually commandeering the game experience of all within a certain radius. I’ve had experiences where the guys commandeering were not so entertaining and the feeling of being trapped and powerless is hellish.

It’s funny when you see a game live and "unpackaged", the logical highlights of the game can be overlooked and random aspects stand out. I have almost no memory of Smith reaching his 100. It snuck up very quickly - he got from 90 to 100 with a 6 and a 4 - and I was probably focused on something like finding the lime wedges in the cooler bag to put into the special lemonade, and then saw everyone jumping up and got with the program a bit late. On the other hand, Johnson’s 23 off 9 at the end of our innings, elbowing out Haddin, stands out as a great feat.

One of the reasons I probably missed Smith’s 100 is because for all that I love Dame Judi and am glad to see Finch make some runs, I have totally jumped on the “who cares, bring on Mad Dog Maxwell” train with Faulkner as its caboose. It seems to me that these two have supplanted Warner and Finch as Australia’s batting sweethearts. This is partly because Warner & Finch have not really fired in this World cup and they’ll get love back when they do. The ones who really suffer in this scenario are the someone someones between the openers and the Big Show & Finisher acts.

Things are getting a bit out of hand with me and James Faulkner. James “F**k Off” Faulkner initially had a very different meaning, but things have now come round beyond full circle into serious overcompensation territory. I titter on the inside like a schoolgirl when I see his picture come up and I believe I blew him a kiss on Thursday night. Not the one-handed kiss-and-blow-the-fairy-dust type, a two-handed suction-based Italian-style jobbie, like Pavarotti thanking his audience or an olde-timey mobster with a napkin tucked into his collar expressing appreciation to the restaurant owner for the linguine with clams. Know what kind I mean? Which is a bit weird. Cue Carrie Bradshaw voice-over: “I couldn’t help but wonder... when it came to James and me, were we just two crazy kids, or was I a fat Italian mafioso and he a plate of pasta?”

I suspect there’ll be words on Monday about New Zealand and the Spirit of the Game regardless of who wins. Who did the Knights of the Round Table fight? In one astonishing synopsis of the tale of Knight Daniel von demblühenden Tal on Wikipedia, a “much-neglected Arthurian epic”, he has to contend with an evil dwarf and a “horde of bellyless monsters” (?) against a background of screaming mechanical dragons and war elephants. It’s not Mists of Avalon. I will take any kind of epic tomorrow, tasteful or not.





No comments:

Post a Comment