20 July 2013

Phrenomenology


I blame Watto, obviously. Do I need to say why? Getting out on 30 is fine, but the hubris of that horrible, speculative, selfish review obviously set off the kind of Lords cosmic ruckus once again that led to Swann’s horrible ball, Rogers’ horrible lbw, Rogers horribly not feeling he could review the horrible lbw… no good was ever going to come of Watto’s review, and so it was. With each successive wicket, I shook my tiny fist at Shane Watson. He’s not a cancer, he’s a canker. A blight, and a bonehead.


Sillygisms

You know when you’ve hit it,” Vaughn was saying at lunch time. 

 I will bite the next cricketer who says this. Or rather, Socratsy will:
Vaughn: You know when you’ve hit it.

Socratsy: How do you know?

V: You can feel it.

S: You know you’ve hit it because you can feel it.

V: Right.

S: I’m with you, Mr V. If you felt it, I reckon you definitely hit it.

V: There you go.

S: But you’re trying to say the opposite: that if you hit it, you definitely felt it.

V: That too.

S: HOW SO that too?

V: When you hit it, you feel it.

S: How do you know?

V: Because you feel it.

S: No, we’ve been through this. You know you’ve hit it because you feel it. That means IF YOU FEEL IT -> you hit it. It doesn’t mean that IF YOU HIT IT -> you feel it. You’re getting tangled up between your ratio cognoscendi and your ratio essendi.

V: ….

S: The fallacy of the converse.

V: ….

S: You’re reasoning backwards. And you’re thinking of all the times when you “knew” and no one else was sure, which gives you a false impression of privileged knowledge. And before things like hot spot and reviews, you had no way of knowing that there were times when you’d hit it and hadn’t felt it, so I can understand you thinking those times didn’t exist. But I never even got started on my reductio ad asburdum rebuttal.

V: Oh, please do.

S: If it is true that you feel it every time you hit it, then you’re saying that Philip Hughes asked for a review of a ball he knew he’d hit. That he knew he’d hit the ball, and asked for a closer examination of the situation. Can you tell me why he’d do that?

V: …

S: Right. But I still prefer the fallacy argument. It’s always better to keep Philip Hughes’ head out of things, including for Philip Hughes.

Other things

Boofcam: It's like the Academy Awards, something happens and there's a cross to Darren Lehmann for a reaction shot. A commentator referred to the Australian team as "Darren Lehmann's men".
Has there ever been such a celebrity coach? 

Longroom cam: I lerved KP giving the cordon rope post a good bang into the floor on his way back to the sheds.

I wish Mike Holding had an advice column. It would be called: Ask yourself and every reply from Aunty Mike would start: "Ask yourself..." or "I ask you...". Then after every reply, there'd be a PS from Geoffrey Boycott: "Well, if you'd asked me..."

3 comments:

  1. Batsy! Glad to have you back. We need to hear more from Socratsy.

    I enjoy that Mick Jagger can attend the cricket like a normal person but Russell Crowe requires the patented Celebrity Dark Glasses/Baseball Cap. I wonder if Russell fears that MCC members might destroy him with their love, like a particularly eggs and bacony version of the final scene in Perfume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggs and bacon, mmmm... that scene could go a few ways, actually. I didn't see Russ, his disguise obviously didn't work.

      Delete
  2. I love how even Socratsy wants to keep Phillip Hughes as far away from things as possible.
    And you are absolutely dead right about Boof Cam, and about Michael 'Ask Yourself' Holding.

    ReplyDelete