09 August 2013

KP POed


I wish I was young enough to know instinctively how to make a gif loop, but this will have to do. Pissing off Kevin Pietersen to this extent is surely a close second to retaining the Ashes. It is also a sign of my age that part of me was relieved when it rained so I could get a proper night's sleep.

Thoughts, briefly, as I am SO behind with my homework.

Geoffrey Boycott raised more philosophical issues than Socratsy during the Third Test, to wit:
  • "There's no such thing as ifs, buts, thoughts..." and
  • "How can you get rain wrong?"
Discuss.

Why is Jim Maxwell's the only voice you can hear at the back of the box when the other commentators are on? Is he unusually heedless of interrupting the broadcast or is it an unusually stentorian voice? You'd think the latter.

This season's ads:

Usually there's just relentless blokiness, but I noticed a lot of "girl car" ads in the first couple of Tests, eg. zippy Mitsubishis for girls nights out. My couch companion suggested that it was so menfolk watching the cricket could recommend cars to their girlfriend, but that seems poor thinking to me. Because after we both watched an ad for hot pink Asics runners, I turned to him and said "I covet those", and he said "What?"

At the other end of the spectrum, however, are the Schick Hydro ads, that once again show what lengths must be gone to avoid certain implications when selling grooming products to men. Lest you have concerns about a shaver with a moisturising bar, its effect is helpfully illustrated by a computer animated boxing match where a punch lands as a slo-mo blast of water. Why, it's like a FIST of WATER in your FACE. Like being GLASSED with HYDRATION. Like an EXPLOSION OF MOISTURE SHRAPNEL. Mrs Marsh, eat your heart out.

No comments:

Post a Comment