09 December 2014

Test 1, Day 1, Adelaide

-->

Well, God bless Davey Warner. I have described him as an emotional counterpoint to Phillip Hughes and boy was he that today. Pure sunshine, always a joy when he’s... I’ve been sifting through the descriptors. ‘In form’ is stepping too far back, ‘on song’ seems like something you build up to, they don’t work for Warner’s immediacy. He’s easy and explosive, soothing and entertaining, today every boundary cleared some of the cloud, a salve to the collective wound.



On Grandstand, Rahul Dravid talked about the ego adjustment he had to make when batting with Virender Sehwag, because the crowd would cheer the singles that brought his partner back on strike. Rogers has always seemed happy to fade into the background when Warner is... being Warner, though perhaps not quite so far back as the pavilion. But despite the ‘meh’ of his 9 and Watson’s 14, and even with one batsman retired hurt, 2 for 258 looked refreshingly respectable given our long track record of crumply starts. Not the best finish to the day, but still.



I forgot about “oooh” when considering the possible responses to the first bouncer. I thought the general not knowing what would happen would translate into a general not knowing what to do and mean not doing anything at all, a strangled silence. But it was “oooh” and a clap. Is that what we always used to do anyway? I can’t remember.



Warney thinks that with the diversion and seriousness of recent events I will either not notice or not mention his new brown hair. He severely underestimates me. I see you, Shane Keith Warne. I have seen and wondered at a great number of your hairstyles, but this one confounds me like no other. It is mystifying enough when a brunette man makes this move, a hair’s breadth away from the comb-over in its charm. But when your story is that you are a blond, why wouldn’t you stick to it and let it carry you into or over the greys? With the immense resources at his disposal, the greatest of which is the aforementioned track record as a blond, this just feels so low rent. Maybe he was bored.



I’d like to formally request an easing up on the Phillip Hughes video montages. They make me teary against my will and leave me feeling a bit... used. Hands off my heartstrings, please, I can take them from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment