16 December 2010

But no

I thought there was a glimmer of hope when Andrew Strauss decided to bowl. Wasn’t sending the other team in a famously series-turningly fatal move in Ashes lore? I was so mesmerised by this possibility that Anderson’s first couple of balls even looked... could they be a bit wide? But no.

Is “but no” the motto of the series?

I had thought for example that the Adelaide start was not just bad, but freakishly bad, "freakish" meaning "an aberration of nature", "statistically unlikely to happen again very soon". But no!

“You’d think they...”
“What if...” “Surely...” But no. But... but... ? No!

I am grateful for Jonathan Agnew, who somehow manages to sound soothing even when he's saying "4 for 49".

Warnie


When Picasso first showed his portrait of Gertrude Stein and people said it didn’t look much like her, he replied: “It will.” Who would have thought the same principle would apply to the 2007-2008 VB Summer of Spin Shane Warne plastic figurine?

People have texted me to ask if I am driving the campaign to bring him back. My position is that I am all in favour of his return, on the condition that he arrive at the ground in a golden helicopter and is lowered to the pitch as fireworks are let off around the ground and “Thus Spake Zarathustra” blares from the speakers. I think that's about the level and flavour of the idea.

3 comments:

  1. Such a grim summer, Batsy, saved only by reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real Mitchell Johnson17 December, 2010 15:39

    Oh Batsy of little faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Mitchell, is it my fault you have a fake twin? Are you saying this was all some kind of spiritual test?

    I meant to say yesterday that I only caught the very end of your batting last night but you looked very good and I was proud. GUESS I WAS TOO BUMMED OUT BY THE ENTIRE FAKE TEAM.

    Nice to have you (all) back.

    Love,
    Batsy

    ReplyDelete