03 December 2010

Test 2 Day 1

Gah. Who are these people? Am I with them?


I’d accepted on a theoretical level that things would need to get worse for Australia before they would get better, because of the in-built trauma of the downward slide that gives it momentum, but the acceptability of the idea in the abstract is a long way from its palatability in concreto. In other words, nice idea, but oh God the pain, the terrible pain...


Is it worse as spectator? I mean OK no, it’s not worse as a spectator, but at least as a player you have something to do, you get hit and that means you have work to do – be it only to work out what to say to Mark Nichols – and the work absorbs the pain that focuses your mind on the work.


I hear the wicket and all I can do is screw up my face or pull my hair and there’s a limit to that sort of thing and so most of the emotion just clangs around inside. I suppose this is why spectators start hitting each other. As for me, I took advantage of the groundwork laid by the game’s fast food sponsor to do some emotional eating. KFC is doing a very blokey burger range at the moment with things like hash-brown inserts - if I didn't know Warnie was already helping Maccas design a burger I would suspect his handiwork.



This allows me to segue to the Adelaide scoreboard, pictured here from this time last year, which is a fine looking object in itself, and the bar in the base of it has always struck me as one of those supremely blokey combos, like a beer cooler with a built-in transistor radio in reverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment